Since the Government has announced the plans for a Carbon Tax (just the plans mind you, not the actual details) the right-wing troll brigade have collectively lost their minds.
They have been flooding any and all online forums with their mindless rants as much as the possibly can, not to mention spamming the various online “polls” on the subject. Now normally this would be a massive annoyance but I’ve found it has the unexpected side affect of being able to divine the rightard methodology to a nutshell.
So here we have the guide to rightard troll activities:
1. Outrage. Yes I know this would be obvious, but these guys take it to a new level. If you took them literally the object of their wrath was the worst thing to happen ever since Howard was voted out/Workchoices was repealed/Federation/we came down from the trees. The more they rant on about it the higher the level of outrage climbs until I’m sure you could almost here an aneurism popping at the other end.
2. unAustralian. Hot on the heels of the outrage comes the unAustralian card. Now this one isn’t actually played explicitly except in very rare cases, but it is implied quite heavily with comments like “that’s not what we voted for” etc. Couple this with one of the many media “polls” and it turns to “the majority of people don’t want this”. Ignoring the fact that it’s actually the majority of the sampled population agreed with whatever question it was regardless of the relation to the actual policy, this is one of their favourite tools.
3. Moral superiority. Going hand in hand with “the majority of people don’t want this” is the corollary “we are morally superior because the polls agree with us”. Once it gets to this stage there’s really no going back…nothing on earth will divert them at this point because backing down will be seen as a huge blow to their ego.
4. Cherry picking. The more logical types will eschew the emotional angle and attempt the pseudo-logical approach. In their case it is primarily done by cherry picking data and quote mining to attempt to get snippets that support their delusion. Of course, when they are brought to heel by quotes in context they will bluster and demand sources and links (which of course they will write of as being biased or invalid) which leads to my favourite…
5. Pedantry. This one is really special. At this point they are so hamstrung by the logical contortions they have put themselves through to pursue their thesis that when it is shut down they resort to nitpcking and pedantry to try to invalidate the counter argument. A classic example is when Tony Abbott called climate change crap. Now everyone knows that is the tenor of his statement but that’s not good enough for the pedant…he pops up with “but the actual phrase is the climate change argument is crap…that’s not the same thing”. Of course they will then get roundly abused for their stupidity but it won’t stop them.
A good example of some of these is the carbon tax.
The pedant will turn themselves inside out in an effort not to admit that an election promise made before the advent of the minority government may not necessarily be upheld because of the negotiations required to pass legislation.
They will also cherry pick the election statement to say “she said no carbon tax” without continuing with the rest where it is said that they were going to pursue a price on carbon.
So there you have it…some of the main right-wing troll methods, as feeble as they may be. I know it’s usually an exercise in futility trying to debate these clowns as they will never change their mids no matter what evidence they have been presented with.
The thing I found most amusing about the Carbon Tax response is that every single rightard troll has been pushing the same meme form day one…SHE LIED!. Absolutely no mention of the plan itself or the concept, nor anything about Tony’s “direct action plan” (which is neither a plan nor contains any action)…it’s all about how the PM lied.
It just goes to show how bare the right-wing intellectual cupboard is.
Once again the Opposition has shown that there is no measure to how low they will go in their attempts to force their way into Government.
Noted humanitarian Scott Morrison has been polluting the airwaves with his notion that the Government shouldn’t have “wasted” taxpayer dollars flying the families of those victims of the Christmas Island drownings to Sydney for the funerals..after all those refos are rolling in it, why couldn’t they pay for their own ticket.
Frankly this just turns my stomach. The cost of the airfares would probably be substantially less than what this arsehole has for a stationery allowance in a year (especially toner 🙂 ) and he has the nerve to raise this. Of course he’s attempting to pander to the Liberals’ loyal following of mouth-breathers and Alan Jones listeners, and has a really good go at it by conflating two of their main (only?) talking points: refugees and Government waste. Naturally not wanting to miss a media grab (especially as Mark Riley wasn’t around), Abbott jumps in as well, because as we all know the Independents are simply frothing at the mouth looking for a chance to dump the Government and by golly a few thousand bucks for flying refugees to a funeral sounds like the perfect opportunity. Arseclown.
Daring to be different, Uncle Joe Hockey pops up with a faux-compassionate take in an attempt to differentiate himself from the raving lunatics in his own party. Couple this with his attempts to get back on Sunrise on a regular basis and it looks like he’s laying the groundwork for his own tilt as the next big Liberal failure when Abbott get knifed/self-combusts/implodes/gets staked through the heart.
But before we all go into raptures at the thought of a “moderate” Liberal leader, we shouldn’t forget that Joe is the man who:
– was part of the chain of clueless that comprised the Opposition’s budget reply last year
– thinks that having an accounting firm check that your spreadsheet totals add up is an audit
– thinks that $11 billion of bullshit pre-election costings aren’t really that important
Luckily for the Opposition the media has their back and you can expect them to be fully covered by spin and FUD whenever their true incompetence comes to light.